Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Imitate.



Ephesians 5:1-2 Be imitators of God, therefore as dearly loved children and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.

Wow! That's a tall order. Be an imitator of God! To imitate Him? To act like Him? That's not an easy job to do.

In Sunday's sermon, our pastor told us that when the word "therefore" is in the Bible, you better ask yourself, what is it There For? It's something we better pay attention to. This is another one of those things in the Bible that is a command for Christians, not an optional task. The Bible says we are to be "imitators of God" and to "walk in love as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God...". What does that picture look like?

Have you ever wondered what imitating God would look like? What would it look like if we walked in love as Christ loved us? I do believe that means living selflessly, loving endlessly, forgiving, caring, taking on one anothers' burdens and lifting one another up. That's a tall task! How can we do it? I've said it before, if God says to do it, He'll bring you through it. Today, start today. If you're a Christian, try to be an imitator of God. Try to love someone, try to see them the way God sees them, let someone go before you, let someone elses' needs come first.

If you're a wife, love your husband unconditionally today. 1 Peter 3:1-2 says 1 Wives, in the same way submit yourselves to your own husbands so that, if any of them do not believe the word, they may be won over without words by the behavior of their wives, 2 when they see the purity and reverence of your lives. This verse means to live in such a way that your husbands, if they do not believe in Christ, would see Christ through your life and find Him through your actions. If you are married to a Christian husband, encourage him, love him, lift him up in prayer and tell him how important he is to you and how thankful you are for him.

If you're a mom, love those babies and put their needs first, happily, without grumbling. Sometimes I am tired. I am worn out and if one more person asks me for a snack, I'm going to scream! BUT.... today I'm not. I have been trying so hard to be a better servant to my family... and no, I don't mean an actual servant. I mean that I am trying to care for them with a happy heart. It's a privilege and a gift from God to have a husband and wonderful children and I want to love them the way God wants me to. You know, it's a lot of work to coupon shop. It takes a lot of time and a lot of preparation. I have been trying so hard to look at this mundane task as a way to serve my family. Changing another diaper? Well someone has to do it and I am going to be thankful that I have a baby who's diaper needs to be changed. I remember losing a baby and having Molly made me ever so thankful, even for the dirty diapers and long nights.

If you're a co-worker, love them too. Try to imitate Christ at work. How would He act if He were there? I know, Jesus would never work in your office (it's just too awful, right?) but just pretend He would. How would He treat your co-workers? How would He treat your boss? Remember that Jesus loved even the adulterers, the tax collectors (most of which stole unimaginable amounts of money), fisherman, shepherds and every kind of person you can imagine - good and bad.

Whatever you do today and wherever you go, remember to be a example; an imitator of God; to walk in love - just like Christ!

It's a tall order, but you can do it! I always tell people to try couponing, shopping smart, living on a budget, breaking a habit, for just one day and see how it feels. I guarantee you it might not be easy to live "like" Christ, but you will be happy when you have. Please God and following His commands is the greatest feeling in the world! 

1 comment:

  1. I have been going through some things & this is something I needed to hear at this time. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete